Sunday, July 18, 2010

Mama won't give me matches, 'cause she says they can't burn the memories.

Lens - 104 Words
Aaron Dethrage.

I have heard throughout my entire life that hindsight is always 20/20, but as I grow older, I am realizing that this is hardly true. I look back at us and clearly see the wreckage that remains, yet still I perceive you as perfect, my ideal companion. You weren’t. You aren’t. You never could be. However, through the foggy, shattered lens of the past, I gaze. I sleeplessly toss, consumed by thoughts of what could have been. I want to burn these wretched memories like I burned your letters, but my mind is not nearly as kind as my matches proved to be.


Song to Come: Motion Picture Soundtrack - Radiohead

The title was a line that my good friend, Sarah Musgrave, wrote in a lyrics, and I became quite fond of it. Kudos to her for the simple yet brilliant imagery that I stole to make this short piece worth reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment